Percussion therapy massage guns are taking the fitness world by storm since public massage places stopped admitting as many people as they did pre-Covid-19.
If you work out often, you know the toll workout recovery can take on your body and how great a massage is. Buying a good massage gun is imperative if you struggle to find a fitness professional to give you a much-needed muscle healing therapy.
This article will top 5 best massage guns you can purchase in 2021, complete with their features to help guide you when buying one.
1. Best Overall: VYBE Percussion Massage Gun
- Perfect for breaking up muscle knots after an intense workout, our deep...
- Built with 9 different speed settings and 8 interchangeable attachments,...
- Compact and convenient, our portable percussion muscle massager fits easily...
- If you are looking for a quiet massager, look no further! The Vybe Pro...
- Ideal for athletes at every level of training, our deep tissue massage gun...
This massage gun from Escribe is the therapy package you need at a reasonable price. It only weighs 2.5 pounds, which makes it quite portable. It is designed to target knots in your muscles pre-workout or post-workout to guarantee you successful muscle recovery.
Designed for a complete percussion therapy massage, this VYBE percussion massage gun also comes with 9 different speed settings you can use on 8 different attachment heads. To adequately alleviate pain and soreness, the massage gun offers a percussion vibration that gives you between 1800 to 3400 strokes per minute.
You won't have to worry when using it in public as it only delivers 60 Decibels when massaging at a percussion force of 33lbs+12mm Amplitude. The 12mm Amplitude ensures even your deepest muscles get the care they require.
To also ensure you don't miss a muscle-relaxing moment whenever you need it, this massage guns comes with 2 swappable and rechargeable batteries that keep it going for over three hours at a time.
It comes with a premium protective casing for when you want to travel with it. You will benefit from this massage gun the most if you pair it with other fitness gear like foam rollers and yoga mats.
2. Best for Intensive Massage: TimTam Power Massager Pro
- TARGETED HEAT. The PowerMassager Pro features an automatic heated tip that...
- DEEP TISSUE SPEEDS. This muscle recovery gun has three deep tissue speeds...
- 2X BATTERY LIFE. With two times the battery life for improved performance,...
- MASSAGE ANYWHERE. Smoother power & quieter operation allows for quieter...
- 100% SELF-USE. Featuring a one-touch trigger and 175° articulating arm ,...
If you are a professional athlete and need intense muscle massages or take care of professional athletes, this is a must-have massage gun. From TimTam, the gadget is designed to take muscle recovery to the next level. You won't have to worry about your workout performance after enjoying a deep tissue massage using this massage gun.
It is an ultra-quiet massage gun only emitting 10 Decibels at its lowest speed, giving you the comfort of using anywhere; at home, gym, office, etc. It comes with 5 pre-programmed massage settings, including neck and lumbar recovery for those dealing with pain from their routines. You can pick from any of the gadget's 3-speed settings; 1000 or 2000, or 2800 strokes per minute.
Unlike other massage guns, this TimTam Power Massager Pro was designed with a professional athlete in mind; hence it has all the features an athlete who needs a massage would want. The skin temperature feature, for instance, is excellent when identifying the ideal temperature to massage a specific area. This massage gun will drive heat into your needy muscles for the best relaxation and recovery performance for an intensive massage.
It also features a 175-degree one-touch trigger to apply pressure in almost all your body muscles with ease. According to the manufacturer, you will start feeling relief in seconds of using this massage gun.
This massage gun comes with a premium travel bag, so you can carry it anywhere. The only hint of disappointment from this massage gun is its short battery life of one hour.
3. Best for Quiet: Opove M3 Pro Massage Gun
- OPOVE M3 Pro Max massage gun is a go-to self-myofascial recovery tool, it...
- It is 15mm amplitude with max 50 lbs stall force; Working noise is only...
- Deep tissue percussion massage gun with a rechargeable battery, it works up...
- 5 Applicators for relaxing and massage in different areas; Manual & auto...
- Only lightweight 2.3lbs, ergonomic design, and easy-to-use for...
Noise control is an important feature all massage gun buyers look for when buying. According to experts, if you intend to use the gadget in public or massage sensitive muscles in areas such as your shoulders and (near your ears), you should prioritize relatively quiet massage guns. A quiet massage gun is one whose motor generates very low noise levels in Decibels. One such massage gun is the Opove M3 Pro Massage Gun.
This gadget boasts a 24-volt, high torque brushless motor that only generates between 35-55 Decibels, making it a leader among noisy massage guns.
The motor is not the only thing to love about this gadget; it also features a powerful battery that can last around 3 hours. It is a lightweight massage gun, only weighing 2.3 pounds, making it an ideal travel choice. It also features 3 different speed settings, 5 different attachments heads, and can handle 50 pounds before stalling.
This massage gun also comes with a convenient carrying case.
4. Best Portable: Hyperice Hypervolt GO- Deep Tissue Percussion Massage Gun
- For Athletes and Adventurers - our versatile GO cordless massagers can be...
- Therapy Tool - Drill into problem areas, like the legs, feet and shoulders...
- Our most affordable massage device, the GO has all of the features you need...
- Weighing just 1.5lbs, the rechargeable GO travels with ease. 3 different...
- Easy to Use - Simple, one button control allows for quick and immediate use...
If you are looking to buy a lightweight and yet efficient massage gun, look no further than the Hyperice Hypervolt GO. This gadget is designed for portability, only weighing an unbelievable 1.5 pounds that makes it ultra-lightweight.
It also features a brushless high-torque 40W motor and functions with a patented QuietGlide Technology to give you the best muscle relaxation. It has 3 different speed settings, which you can conveniently change by pressing the power button.
The massage gun comes with 2 interchangeable head attachments, an 18-V charger, and an additional three plug adapters.
5. Best on Budget: Sonic Handheld Percussion Massage Gun
- A DEEP AND POWERFUL MASSAGE: Rejuvenate sore tissue and aching muscles....
- 100% SATISFACTION LIFETIME WARRANTY + Guiding Angels: Not everyone can...
- SUPER QUIET AND PORTABLE: The best massage gun for athletes take your...
- 5 LEVELS OF INTENSITY + 8 MASSAGE HEADS: Choose the speed that best suits...
- EASY TO USE: Our Ready, Set, Pro Easy-Start guide will have you up and...
Buying the best massage guns does not have to be awfully expensive. This Sonic Handheld Percussion Massage Gun is an ideal fit when you are on a tight budget.
It is a good percussion massage gun if you are after a gadget with a quiet, powerful brushless motor to deliver strong muscle penetration and eliminate tightness and pain. If you are not an athletic person but suffer from joint pain, this massage gun will help boost your flexibility and mobility through trigger-point massage therapy.
This gadget is equipped with 5 different massage heads and 5 different speed settings you can adjust by simply pressing the power button for a completely customizable massage service.
Only producing as high as 75 Decibels, this whisper-quiet machine is ideal for use at home, office, gym, and other public spaces. The battery is arguably the gadget's best feature. It comes with a rechargeable battery that can stay for up to 6 hours while in use.
Essential Factors to Consider Before Buying The Best Percussion Massager
Buying a new massage gun can be a daunting task if you are not sure of the most essential features. If you are new to using massage guns, the following are the four most vital features of a good massager.
1. Stall Force
The stall force is a factor that determines how deep a massage can be; it is the force that can be applied to the head of the massager before its motor stalls. In return, the amount of pressure applied dictates the intensity of a massage. You can choose either one of these two types of massage to get the best massager;
Percussion, or percussive therapy, is a deep massage that targets the deepest area of a muscle to increase blood flow and oxygen to then encourage recovery.
Percussive therapy massagers are designed with enough power to come off contact with the body multiple times in a second. Therefore, they are massage guns with high amplitudes, high-frequency speeds, and enough torque to handle more pounds.
Vibration therapy is the use of a device to apply vibrations to a muscle to release tension or pain by increasing blood and oxygen flow.
Unlike a percussive therapy gun, a vibration massage gun stays in contact with the body for the duration of a massage to improve blood flow and oxygen in muscles.
When buying a massage gun, you need to understand how intensely certain massage guns operate so you can decide which to buy.
Ideally, professional athletes prefer percussive therapy because they tend to overwork their muscles more. On the other hand, vibration massage guns are ideal for people who require soft massages to alleviate stress.
How noisy is your ideal massage gun? Noise is a crucial factor to consider when in the market for a new massage gun. If a massager is too loud, it will limit you to only using it in private places, and even then, limit you from massaging delicate muscles near the ears.
3. Battery Life
The best massage gun will have long battery life. A strong battery means you won't have to keep charging it after every use.
When buying a new massager, look for one that comes with extra rechargeable batteries, as you can charge these separately while still using the massage gun.
Weight is a factor that can limit how effectively you use your massage gun. If you get a massager that is too heavy, you will not be able to travel with it or massage yourself without someone's help.
Please note that most massage guns are designed for use with one hand, so you should feel comfortable holding with either hand while massaging.
Frequently Asked Questions About The Best Massage Guns
1. Are they worth it?
If you are concerned about your fitness or hit the gym regularly, you would need to massage your muscles pre-workout and post-workout. A massage gun is a helpful gadget since you can use it at home or in the gym, and you will not require a lot of expertise to operate.
You will also need a massage gun if you struggle with joint or muscle pain and soreness. The best massage guns offer both percussive and vibration therapy; both massage methods target deep in the muscles to alleviate pain and soreness.
2. Are they safe?
Yes, massage guns are safe to use, but only if usage instructions and massage recommendations are followed.
For safe usage, follow the following tips;
- Do not use on wounds and injuries.
- Do not massage on bones, ligaments, tendons, and near the carotid arteries.
- Do not massage a specific muscle for more than 2 minutes.