Getting a higher dose of medication is cheaper than getting a two-lower dosage pill. For this reason, the best pill cutter will come in handy to help cut the higher dose to the required dose. In addition, these pill cutters are relatively safe to use for most people.
While some pharmacies will also do the same action to minimize the pressure when it comes to storage, pill cutters are a great financial move, especially when you've been prescribed an expensive medicine.
Although you can cut the pull using your hands, the problem is that it may not be accurate. This is where the pill cutter comes. Looking to learn more and buy the best pill splitter or cutter? Keep reading to find out.
What is a Pill Cutter?
A pill cutter is a device that helps in splitting medicinal pills. This straightforward and inexpensive pill cutter features three main parts, including a blade, something to hold the tablet in place while cutting, and a compartment for storage of unused medicines.
The pill cutter comes in handy to avoid improperly scaled or shattered split pills, as you would with a kitchen knife or your hands. The main aim of pill cutters is to protect your wallet and health too.
So, below are the five best pill cutters in the market, their pros, and cons, as well as the things you need to consider before buying the best pill cutter.
1. APEX Ultra Pill Cutter - Pill Splitter With Retracting Blade Guard
- Contains (1) Apex Ultra Pill Splitter. Made from Optical grade...
- The tablet cutter and pill cutter utilizes a unique V-shaped design to...
- The ergonomic design of the Apex Ultra Pill Splitter crafted with an...
- The medicine cutter has a retracting blade guard to create a safe cutting...
- A pill cutter splitter for small pills or large pills, the Apex ultra pill...
Although the Apex Ultra Pill Cutter and Pill Splitter comes with a V-shaped design, it works the same as others. It is one of the most stylish pill-cutting mechanisms with a transparent and lightweight body that is made from optical-grade polycarbonate.
It features a triangular cutting platform that firmly grips pills of up to 0.8 inches. It also has a double-beveled stainless steel blade that remains sharp even after repeated use. Unlike other box pill cutters, this cutter has handy molded grooves and contoured to your palm so that the fingers won't slip.
This Apex pill-splitter has a see-through material to allow the user to view the blade's positioning to confirm the pill will be sliced evenly when pressed down. It also allows you to see the pills you have in the storage compartment without having to open them.
Additionally, this cutter comes with a rubber-like surface to ensure the pills stay in place during cutting. You also get a small built-in tray that holds the sliced pills when you're splitting the pills.
2. JohnBee Pill Cutter | Best Pill Cutter for Small or Large Pills
- 【For Any Pill Up To 0.8" Size】Pill cutter is easy to cutter pill into...
- 【V-Shaped Design】Pill splitter firmly grip pills (UP TO 0.8" SIZE) for...
- 【SAFETY SHIELD PILL CUTTER】The pill splitter is designed here in the...
- 【Doubles As a Pill Box】The pill cutter splitter has 3 Built in pill...
- 【Package Includes】1 x pill cutter , 1 x small cleaning brush, 1 x...
The JohnBee Pill Cutter is another best pill cutter that comes with a V-shaped design that will allow you to cut the pills up to 0.8 inches long. It features a handy built-in storage compartment that can accommodate up to eight pills.
It also has a portable waterproof pill holder keychain which allows one have their medication while on the go. Its sharps blade ensures that you can accurately and easily cut pills in eighths, quarters, and halves.
However, this cutter doesn't have a blade guard, which means you should always be careful not to cut your fingers while placing the pill on the chopping block. In addition, its back cover is detachable to ensure easy cleaning of the residues from cutting.
3. The Equadose Pill Splitter Doubles as a Pill Box
- ACCURATE BLADES: Our blades are angled so that they will never dull, yet...
- TWIN BLADES: The double blades create a split point that gives you perfect...
- COMPREHENSIVE DESIGN: This perfect pill cutter splits any size and shape...
- QUALITY CRAFTSMANSHIP: Made of solid aircraft aluminum.
- GUARANTEE: We offer a Lifetime guarantee on the Equadose pill splitter!
The Equadose Pill Splitter Doubles as a Pill Box is known for splitting pills of all sizes and shapes. It features a modern design with opposing double blades that ensure you get two perfect halves with each split.
Its blades are made from aerospace-grade aluminum and are not sharp to touch. They are well angled such that they won't become dull over time. For this Equadose pill-splitter, simply center the pill, swivel the blue lid over to close, and then squeeze the lid to split.
However, the Equadose pill-splitter may be difficult to use with those with conditions such as poor eyesight, dexterity issues, and neuropathy because the pills are centered by the eye, and you will manually have to squeeze the sides to split them.
4. EZY DOSE Pill Cutter Cut N' Crush Pill Crusher
- PILL ORGANIZER COMPARTMENT: Built in pill storage compartment
- TWO-IN-ONE: Built in drinking cup and cover for taking medicine on the go
- PILL CAPACITY: Holds up to 4 pills (aspirin-sized)
- BUILT TO LAST: Quality design, Built to withstand repeated use
- HEALTHY LIVING: Ezy Dose products make living healthier simply easier, Many...
The Ezy Dose Pill Cutter Cut N' Crush Pill Crusher stands out from the rest because it is not only a versatile and multipurpose tool, but it can also crush pills that need to be dissolved in drinks or food. It can also work on a variety of tablets, pills, and medications.
To use the Ezy Dose Pill Cutter, you simply need to place the pill on the cutting platform, then closed the lid firmly to cut the tablet. The flexible arms on this cutter hold the pill of different sizes for accurate cutting. It also has a stainless steel blade that always stays sharp.
However, the Ezy dose pill crusher and cutter is bulkier than most cutters in the market because it includes a built-in storage compartment that can hold up to four pills, a drink cup, and a crusher.
5. EqualSplit Pill Splitter, Cleanly Split or Quarter Any Pill
- SUPER CLEAN CUTS: No more unequal haves, crushed medication or crumbled...
- DOUBLE BLADES: Opposing blades apply opposing force, precisely controlling...
- CONVENIENTLY COMPACT: Pocket sized and great for traveling or when on the...
- QUALITY CRAFTSMANSHIP: Crafted entirely from medical grade aluminum. Patent...
- WORKS WITH ALL PILL SHAPES & SIZES: Small or large, scored or unscored,...
The EqualSplit Pill Splitter, Cleanly Split, or Quarter Any Pill features a double blade design as the Equadose Pill Splitter. It comes at a lower price point with a sleek body and clear lid, making it even more stylish.
It is made from aluminum with a square and minimalistic design that works efficiently. This cutter will work on all kinds of pills, including small pills, large pills, scored and unscored pills, oval pills, oblong pills, and rounds pills. However, it may struggle to cut the triangular pills into equal parts.
To use this, you only need to open the lid, pull the jaws apart, insert the pill in the center and squeeze the jaws. Once the pill is well centered, close the lid, and squeeze the jaws for pill-splitting. However, since you have to center the pill and manually squeeze the sides, it is not a great pick for people with poor eyesight or arthritis.
Types of Pill Splitters
1. Basic Pill Splitters
These are the most straightforward pill cutters with only one blade that has been attached to the handles and a storage compartment that allows one to cut the pill in only one move easily.
Additionally, the basic pill-splitter also comes in a small size that you can easily carry around or store. However, these splitters may not be able to deal with tough situations or cut hard pills.
2. Multi-functional Pill Splitters
Although a multi-functional pill-splitter is more expensive than basic ones, they come with outstanding features that make cutting and crushing the pills easier. As a result, these splitters are best used for people who can't swallow bigger pills.
There are a bit bigger than basic ones, which means that you will require more pressure to cut or crush the tablets.
3. Multi-pill pill splitters
Although the multi-pill pill splitters are somewhat challenging to use, they have the ability to cut multiple pills at one time. Despite its limitations, you may find this tool handy, especially when you need to cut several pills on a regular basis.
They are also known for clean and precise cuts and saving time splitting tablets. However, the mechanism may require some time to master.
4. Dual-blade pill splitters
These splitters feature a sliding and dual-blade mechanism that can cut even the toughest pills. Their blades are durable, best for cutting tough pills, and can also cut two pills at the same time.
However, it is not ideal for tiny pills, is not very straightforward, and can be a bit pricey.
What Do You Consider When Buying the Best Pill Cutter?
1. Cutting Blade
The most important part of a pill cutter is the blade. The quality of the blade will determine if you will get a clean cut or uneven pills. Blades made of aluminum or stainless steel tend to be the best when it comes to durability and resistance to corrosion and rust.
2. Cutting mechanism
Some models may come with the blade on a lever-like mechanism that doubles up as a lid. Others will have multiple blade systems that can cut two or more tablets at one time.
The pill cutter guards protect your fingers and keep the pills in place by securing pills and block the sides of the blade while cutting them.
The casing should have durable metal or plastic components to protect the blade unit and the pill compartments.
5. Additional Features
Some splitters may come with extra features like storage compartments for pill storage, pill crushers, drinking cups, blade guards, etc.
Tips for Using a Pill Splitter
- Harder pills may be challenging to cut, and for best results, you want to ensure you apply a firm and steady pressure then cut swiftly.
- A pill cutter with a storage compartment can be used as a pill box, making it a convenient two-in-one tool.
- When splitting the small pill pieces, additional time may be required to ensure you line them perfectly so that the blade cuts in the right spot.
- Wipe your pill cutters after use because the residue tends to stick on the pill holder and blade.
- Don't assume it is safe to cut all pills, especially for prescription medications or those that are for a certain health condition. Always consult with your doctor to ensure cutting the pills won't be harmful to your health.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Pill Cutters
1. What is the best way to cut pills?
The recommended way of cut pills is using the best pill cutters. Studies have shown that pill cutters or pill splitters come very close to diving the pills exactly in equal halves. However, using a scissor, knife, or any other tool could potentially result in unequal parts, reducing the efficacy of precise dosage.
2. How do you split a pill that is not scored?
Some tablets come when they are not scored, and it can be a bit challenging to divide pills, but it is possible to cut them in half safely. The important step is to find a pill splitter that can work for scored and unscored pills to achieve accurate cutting.
3. Is there a tool to cut pills in half?
Yes, a wide range of pill cutters come in handy when cutting the pills in half. A good example would be the Apex Ultra Pill Cutter. Designed for both small and large pills, this best pill-splitter and also one of the best pill cutters can help cut the pills in half.